- Review the steps of the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) as presented in the Resources.
- Reflect on your own healthcare organization and consider any steps your healthcare organization goes through when purchasing and implementing a new health information technology system.
- Consider what a nurse might contribute to decisions made at each stage of the SDLC when planning for new health information technology.
PART 1 Question
Required Resources to be used as references below:
1. McGonigle, D., & Mastrian, K. G. (2017). Nursing informatics and the foundation of knowledge (4th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Chapter 9, “Systems Development Life Cycle: Nursing Informatics and Organizational Decision Making” (pp. 175–187)
- Chapter 12, “Electronic Security” (pp. 229–242)
- Chapter 13, “Workflow and Beyond Meaningful Use” (pp. 245–261)
2. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (n.d.a). Health IT evaluation toolkit and evaluation measures quick reference guide. Retrieved September 27, 2018, from https://healthit.ahrq.gov/
health-it-tools-and-resources/ evaluation-resources/health- it-evaluation-toolkit-and- evaluation-measures-quick- reference
3. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (n.d.b). Workflow assessment for health IT toolkit. Retrieved September 27, 2018, from https://healthit.ahrq.gov/
health-it-tools-and-resources/ evaluation-resources/workflow- assessment-health-it-toolkit
Required Media4. Louis, I. (2011, August 17). Systems development life cycle (SDLC) [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=xtpyjPrpyX85. Laureate Education (Producer). (2018). Interoperability, Standards, and Security [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.6. Laureate Education (Producer). (2018). Managing Health Information Technology [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.