For this Assignment you practice this skill by examining literature on group work and group therapy and considering its applicability to your own clients
Psychiatric mental health nursing practice is one of the newest disciplines to be licensed to provide psychotherapy As such, the majority of psychotherapy research is centered on other disciplines such as psychology, social work, marriage/family therapy, art therapy, psychiatry, and mental health counseling. This makes it essential for you to be able to translate current literature from other disciplines into your own clinical practice. For this Assignment you practice this skill by examining literature on group work and group therapy and considering its applicability to your own clients.
- Evaluate the application of current literature to clinical practice
- Review this week’s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide on group work and group therapy.
- Select one of the articles from the Learning Resources to evaluate for this Assignment.
Note: In nursing practice, it is not uncommon to review current literature and share findings with your colleagues. Approach this Assignment as though you were presenting the information to your colleagues.
In a 5- to 10-slide PowerPoint presentation, address the following:
- Provide an overview of the article you selected, including answers to the following questions:
- What type of group was discussed?
- Who were the participants in the group? Why were they selected?
- What was the setting of the group?
- How often did the group meet?
- What was the duration of the group therapy?
- What curative factors might be important for this group and why?
- What “exclusion criteria” did the authors mention?
- Explain the findings/outcomes of the study in the article. Include whether this will translate into practice with your own client groups. If so, how? If not, why?
- Explain whether the limitations of the study might impact your ability to use the findings/outcomes presented in the article.
Note: The presentation should be 5–10 slides, not including the title and reference slides. Include presenter notes (no more than a half page per slide) and use tables and/or diagrams where appropriate. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from the article you selected. Support your presentation with evidence-based literature.
By Day 7
Submit your Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK6Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 6 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 6 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK6Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.