Assignment : Connecting Developmental Theory
· Review the Growth and Development Stages (Links to an external site.) developmental theory slideshow. This website is also quite helpful and includes more theorists: Child Development Theories and Examples (Links to an external site.).
· Google developmental theories and look at some of those charts. Some of these theorists are more well-known and should have been introduced to you in your undergraduate degree programs through general psychology and nursing courses, especially pediatrics. Lev Vygotsky, Sara Smilansky, Albert Bandura, and John Bowlby will also be looked at in the PNP and possibly FNP future course work; please familiarize yourself with their theories during your Google search.
· Based on your specialty interest, create a fictional patient with a health issue and family involvement, and situate this character. Discuss the developmental stage they are in based on Freud, Erickson, and Piaget. Discuss how Vygotsky, Smilansky, Bandura, and Bowlby have relevance to this case based on their theories and the story you create. Create a chart for this.
· Provide a reference list for those websites or sources you used to complete the table. Also cite these parenthetically in the table after each typed cell of information provided related to the theorist. Notes go under tables, as shown in Chapter 7 of the APA manual, but you may not need notes for the type of information you provide in the table.
Below is an example of what someone in a PMHNP track might come up with. This example and these ideas are taken from the 2010 film It’s Kinda a Funny Story.
JR, who is 17 years old, is physically fit, a straight-A student, and an athlete who is the starting pitcher on the varsity baseball team at his high school . He also plays the piano. He has no siblings. His only physical conditions are seasonal allergies, but he has presented to the inpatient unit for a major depressive episode and suicidal ideation. His parents are highly devoted. Dad is a successful engineer and Mom is a music teacher. They both are type A personalities who push their son toward excellence and have selected an engineering school for him to attend upon his high school graduation. His pet dog, a laborador, of 12 years recently passed away, He is also homeschooling during a Covid epidemic, and the baseball season was canceled. He does not have a girlfriend. He is shy and afraid to share company with females. He tells you he thinks about dying and very frightened about the future, but does not want to hurt his parents.
Genital Stage (citation)
His shyness with girls may cause tension and frustration.
Identity vs. Role Diffusion (citation)
Having parents choose career and college may be creating crisis as he develops his own identity.
Formal Operations (citation)
Cognitive development is normal.
Social Cultural Constructivist Theorist (citation)
Social challenges, high-achieving parents to model, social isolation during a pandemic, and loss of sports and pet may have increased stress levels.
Play Theory not into Adolescence (citation)
There is normal advancement of cooperative play as evidenced by team participation.
Social Cultural Modeling Theory (citation)
High stress and geared toward excellence and high-performance role models are high achievers.
Attachment Theory not into Adolescence (citation)
Attachment to his family is appropriate for his age. He has recently experienced a loss of a close pet.
In practice, I would expect the boy will be admitted to a care setting and started on an antidepressant and drug screened (high-stress environments also may make one more prone to substance abuse). Involving him in a group and meeting other people and possibly cognitive behavioral therapy will be helpful. Alternative social and physical outlets for him need to be planned. Getting parents involved in understanding stress-related illness and how they might be helpful to reduce stress and assist with recovery is needed.
The submitted assignment should contain:
· A fictional patient with a case, history, and problem identified.
· A table covering the theorists described in this example with relevant theory application.
· A brief suggestion for how needs would be met, with specific attention to developmental needs.
Submit this in a written assignment format with two text pages, including the table, and a title and reference page.
Do not use the same type of situation, diagnosis, and age of patient provided in the example for your case construction.
What to Submit
A 2-page Microsoft Word document that includes the table and the reference page.
If you copy and paste references from the course into your assignment, be sure to confirm APA formatting before submitting.
- Case and problem described
- Table with developmental categories and relevance described
- Integration of theory with probable treatment described
- APA, grammar, spelling
Other Solved Questions: