Assignment 2: Case Analysis—Google in China
By the due date assigned.
Governments play an important role in business decisions and business operations. The case study in this assignment provides a fascinating view of the business environment in China.
Read the following case study:
- Google in China: Finding Creative Solutions to Cultural Differences
Analyze the case. In a 3- to 4-page case analysis, address the following questions:
- What is the basic situation described in the case? Summarize the Google experience.
- There are many cultural differences between the US and China, one highlighted in the paper is on censorship. Discuss the meaning of the Pew Internet & American Life Project about internet censorship in China.
- What do you see as potential issues with the Chinese policy of censorship when it comes to access of information?
- Hofstede’s cultural dimensions model present an interesting way to evaluate the cultural differences between societies. Using the information in the article and Chapter 2 of your text discuss how use of such a tool would be of benefit to business, especially in a country such as China.
- Google’s philosophy of “do no evil” seems to be greatly challenged by the Chinese policy of censorship. Present an argument either for or against Google’s chosen course of action.