Week 8: Psychotherapy for Addictive Disorders
A long-standing debate has roiled over whether addicts have a choice over their behaviors. The disease creates distortions in thinking, feelings, and perceptions, which drive people to behave in ways that are not understandable to others around them. Simply put, addiction is not a choice. Addictive behaviors are a manifestation of the disease, not a cause.
—Dr. Raju Hajela, former president of the Canadian Society of Addiction Medicine
A common misconception is that addiction is a choice, and addicts are often labeled as individuals who lack morals, willpower, or responsibility. However, addiction is a clinical disorder that must be treated with the support of a health care professional. Although many people who are exposed to potentially addictive substances and behaviors continue life unaltered by their experiences, some people are fueled by these experiences and spiral out of control. In your role as the psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner, you must be prepared to not only work with these individuals who struggle with addiction but also help them and their families overcome the social stigmas associated with addictive behavior.
This week, you will assess a research article on psychotherapy for clients with addictive disorders. You also examine therapies for treating these clients and consider potential outcomes. Finally, you will discuss how therapy treatment will translate into your clinical practice.
- Analyze literature on interventions and therapeutic approaches used for treating clients with addictive disorders
- Evaluate the application of current literature on addiction treatment to clinical practice
Assignment: Psychotherapy for Clients With Addictive Disorders
- Review this week’s Learning Resources and consider the insights they provide about diagnosing and treating addictive disorders. As you watch the 187 Models of Treatment for Addiction video, consider what treatment model you may use the most with clients presenting with addiction.
- Search the Walden Library databases and choose a research article that discusses a therapeutic approach for treating clients, families, or groups with addictive disorders.
In a 5- to 10-slide PowerPoint presentation, address the following. Your title and references slides do not count toward the 5- to 10-slide limit.
- Provide an overview of the article you selected.
- What population (individual, group, or family) is under consideration?
- What was the specific intervention that was used? Is this a new intervention or one that was already studied?
- What were the author’s claims?
- Explain the findings/outcomes of the study in the article. Include whether this will translate into practice with your own clients. If so, how? If not, why?
- Explain whether the limitations of the study might impact your ability to use the findings/outcomes presented in the article.
- Use the Notes function of PowerPoint to craft presenter notes to expand upon the content of your slides.
- Support your response with at least three other peer-reviewed, evidence-based sources. Explain why each of your supporting sources is considered scholarly. Provide references to your sources on your last slide. Be sure to include the article you used as the basis for this Assignment.
Required Readings (click to expand/reduce)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596
- For reference as needed
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2020). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (3rd ed.). Springer Publishing.
- Chapter 9, “Motivational Interviewing”
- Chapter 19, “Psychotherapeutic Approaches for Addictions and Related Disorders”
Required Media (click to expand/reduce)
AllCEUs Counseling Education. (2017, November 4). 187 models of treatment for addiction | Addiction counselor training series [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQkA0mIWx8A
Place your order now for a similar assignment and get fast, cheap and best quality work written by our expert level assignment writers.Use Coupon Code: NEW30 to Get 30% OFF Your First Order