Maria is 15 years old and 74 pounds overweight. Her father is an uber driver who was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease
Please, review the following case study. The following questions with guide your research paper.
Maria is 15 years old and 74 pounds overweight. Her father is an uber driver who was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Her mother works for a cleaning company. She is overweight with lipid disorder (high blood levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and triglycerides). She is taking two antihypertensive medications at present time. At a recent health science fair at Maria’s school, a student-led screening clinic documented Maria’s blood pressure at 141/92 mm Hg. The family immigrated from Nicaragua 3 years ago and they do not have health insurance.
During health science fair, the following data was recorded: 56% of the students with BMI 25.0 to <30 and 18% of the students with BMI 30.0 or higher.
Consider yourself a community health nurse.
1. Is obesity a major health issue in the United States?
2. According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NCHS, CDC; BRFSS, 2012), how is obesity defined?
3. What is your role as a community nurse?
4. What risk factors should be explored for Maria’s family for cardiovascular disease? Mention social determinants of health in this case. Incorporate the concepts of health promotion and risk reduction.
5. Would you apply any of the behavioral change models to address health promotion and risk reduction in this case (theoretical frameworks of behavioral change / models discussed on Chapter 5 of textbook). Describe your selection.
6. Public health nurses use statistics to demonstrate the need for obesity program development and community interventions. According to the most recent CDC data: What data were identified about obesity in children and adults?
7. Is there a necessity of planning a community nursing intervention? How will you do that? Will you work alone or in collaboration / teamwork? Will you look for funding? How?
8. If you decide to do a community intervention. How would you evaluate the community-level intervention(s)?
9. Will you use social marketing to change health behaviors or beliefs, social or cultural norms, or community standards to improve health or benefit society. Which resources will you use?
10. Mention research studies that support any of the above (1 through 9) (mention at least 3 research studies in the paper).