Purpose: The purpose of this virtual assignment is to get familiar with the non-profit sector and a few of
the web based information sources in the non-profit industry.
Task #1: Review the following 5 websites:
• Imagine Canada – www.imaginecanada.ca
• Charity Village – www.charityvillage.com
• Pillar Non Profit Network –
• Volunteer Canada – www.volunteer.ca
• Association of Fundraising Professionals –
From these sites identify 10 facts, data, or information related to the non-profit sector in Canada that might be important to a marketer (Identify 2 facts per site). For each, identify the source (website), and why this information would be important or useful to a marketer.
Task #2: Review the following 5 websites:
• Sick Kids Foundation
• Goodwill Industries
• Canadian Blood Services www.blood.ca
• Youth Opportunities Unlimited www.you.ca
• One non-profit website of your choice
From these non-profit websites, provide 1 pro and 1 con per site from a marketing perspective. Look for ease of use, branding, messaging, ability to give, links, etc. Provide your reasoning for each pro and con.
Compile the list in a MS word document or PDF and deposit in the FOL dropbox titled “Assignment #1”. Be
sure to include your name(s) and section on the actual word or pdf document. The drop box will close
at 5pm. This assignment is to be done and submitted individually or in pairs and will be
marked as one of your in class/virtual assignment marks.
London has over 1150 nonprofit and charitable organizations (www.pillarnonprofit.ca).
• This is important to a marketer as it indicates a significant amount of competition in the non profit
community. For a marketer looking to fundraise, recruit volunteers, or develop private sector
partnerships in the community there are is a significant number of options these individuals have to
choose from. As a result it is critical that you create a compelling message that can ensure your target
audience understands what you do and how you are different from other organizations in the