LASA 1: Assessment of Child’s Behavior
A thorough assessment of a child’s behavior is a very important and involved task. Too many times individuals look at the child’s behavior and label the child as angry, aggressive, troublesome, etc. In this assignment, you will begin to apply many of the different dynamics that could be in play in a child’s life. You will analyze a case study (the one that you identified in Module 2: Working Ahead) to create an assessment of a child’s behavior by identifying the child’s role in the family, school, and peer groups.
In this evaluation, you will ascertain the possible determinates of his or her behavior given what you have learned about the influences on a child such as family, peers, school, and community. You will review what type of role he or she may be playing in the family as well as in the school based on these dynamics. Keep in mind that this is an assessment of an individual in a community and not an introspective psychological type of assessment. Support your answers with information cited from at least two peer-reviewed academic sources and your textbook.
- Choose a case study from the list provided, if you have not done that already.
- Present the case by explaining the child’s behavior in light of your understanding of the ecology of the child. Give special attention to the following:
- Family and social environment
- Economic circumstances
- Health care access
- Physical environment and safety
- Apply your knowledge of these indicators to explain possible determinates of various aspects of the stated behaviors in the case study.
- Given your understanding of the ecology of the child, of the family, and of socialization, identify the top three areas that seem to be the most influential in this child’s behavior. Support your answer with professional information from the text and two peer-reviewed research articles.
- Review the role this child plays in his or her family and how that correlates with the expressed behavior.
- Analyze the different theories of macrosystem and microsystem influences including parenting orientation and parenting style and how that impacts children. Then apply the theory that might best fit your selected case study.
- Review the role this child plays in his or her school and peer group and how that correlates with the expressed behavior. Analyze the impact of the school and the peer group as a socializing agent, and identify the key areas of impact of both in this case study.
Write a 6–8-page paper (in addition to the title page and references page) in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources, including use of in-text citations and full references. Academic sources could include your textbook, required readings for this module, or academic journal articles found in the Argosy University online library. Make sure you write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.