After numerous ethical scandals and the arrival of a new CEO, Uber is attempting to improve their image. They are trying to stop the previous misconduct and are using advertising to communicate the new corporate culture. In your essay you will address whether this new approach will successfully restore a positive brand image for Uber.
- Read the article below. The full article can be found on Wall Street Journal’s website if you have an account; however, it is not necessary for this assignment since your essay must be supported by other research data.
Uber’s Marketing Plan to Put Its Scandals Behind it
By Nat Ives – Feb 22, 2019
Summary: Uber Technologies Inc. was already striving to put its troubles in the rearview mirror by the time Rebecca Messina arrived to take over the company’s marketing last fall. Travis Kalanick had given up the CEO post more than a year earlier, following a burst of controversies that included allegations against the company of failure to act on sexual harassment, theft of trade secrets, and mistreatment of drivers and riders. His successor, Dara Khosrowshahi, changed certain policies, settled lawsuits and appeared in TV commercials pledging to move in a new direction. Uber’s scandals and a fresh-faced competitor in Lyft cut its market share to 77.5% in 2017 from 90% in 2016, research company eMarketer Inc. estimated last spring. It projected continued slippage, to 77% in 2018 and 76% this year. Research on consumer perceptions of the company offers Uber some hope. Impressions of its brand have regained their 2016 level after plummeting during its worst controversies, according to market-research firm YouGov . Uber’s favorability among consumers is on par with Lyft’s, according to survey company Morning Consult.
- Answer the following questions in an essay written in APA-style format.
- Do you believe that using marketing and public relations will help restore a favorable image of Uber?
- Why do you think that Uber now has the same favorability rating, among consumers, as Lyft?
- As Uber goes into the electronic scooter/rental market, does this pose risks that could potentially damage its brand?
Instructions on how to write in APA-style can be found online. Listed below are some of those websites:
- Conduct research to support your answers to the essay questions. The essay should include opinions of others based on your research to support your point of view. Therefore, although the questions ask :Do you believe”, “What do you think”, etc., note that APA-format requires that you answer in ‘third person’, so your sentences should not include “I” statements! Instead of writing, “I think”, “I believe”, change it to state, “It is believed”, or “most people would “, etc. It is very important, and will be a large part of your grade, that you incorporate in-text Citations for Quotes, Summaries & Paraphrased Material to avoid plagiarism!
Your research paper/essay must contain these sections:
- Title Page (5 points)
- Abstract Page (5 points)
- Essay – Use the following questions as your section header in your essay!
- Do you believe that using marketing and public relations will help restore a favorable image of Uber? (25 points) – 2 paragraphs only
- Why do you think that Uber now has the same favorability rating, among consumers, as Lyft? (25 points) – 2 paragraphs only
- As Uber goes into the electronic scooter/rental market, does this pose risks that could potentially damage its brand? – (25 points) 2 paragraphs only
- In-text Citations for Quotes, Summaries & Paraphrased Material (25 points)