Write a 3 page analysis that assesses your professional development needs as a nurse leader.
Note: The assessments in this course build upon each other, so you are strongly encouraged to complete them in sequence.
For professional nurse-leaders, effective communication skills are essential for interprofessional teamwork and collaboration. Kelly and Tazbir (2014) emphasize the importance of this interaction:
Interprofessional teamwork and collaboration among staff nurses and other disciplines in the health care setting are so critical to optimizing patient care safety and outcomes that they are a priority for most health care administrators, directors, and managers (p. 140).
Successful leadership strategies are based on a leader’s strengths, the situation, the environment, and the stakeholders involved. Developing a plan for professional development is integral in developing leadership and management skills.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Integrate key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts into collaborative practice situations.
- Differentiate between leadership and management.
- Explain key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts that facilitate collaboration and support interprofessional teams.
- Describe a personal leadership and communication style.
- Identify skills or areas for future professional development.
- Competency 5: Communicate in manner that is consistent with the expectations of a nursing professional.
- Write content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and current APA style.
Use the Internet to research key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts, and take several self-assessment tests to identify your leadership style and understand how to adapt your style to various situations. Although most of the free online tests are informal measures of skills and attitudes, the results may provide helpful insight into your leadership style and strengths and weaknesses.
Deliverable: Develop a Professional Development Needs Assessment.
You have been promoted to Nurse Manager. As you transition into your new role, Human Resources (HR) requires you to participate in a leadership and management training workshop. The first day of the workshop involves a self-assessment of your leadership and communication style and an examination of key characteristics of an effective nursing leader, culminating in an assessment of your professional development needs. HR requires you to submit a Professional Development Needs Assessment so future training sessions are designed to meet those self-identified needs.
Use the following subheadings to organize your Professional Development Needs Assessment:
- Leader and Manager: Differentiate between leadership and management.
- What job tasks require a manager?
- What situations require a leader?
- Key Concepts: Explain key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts that facilitate collaboration and support interprofessional teams.
- Explain how key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts facilitate collaboration with interprofessional teams.
- Leadership Self-Assessment: Describe your personal leadership and communication style.
- Explain the strengths of your style that make an effective leader.
- Skill Development: Identify skills or areas for future professional development.
- What training do you need to be a successful leader in your new position?
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and in-text citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
- Length: The plan should be 3 pages in content length, double-spaced.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Number of resources: Use a minimum of three peer-reviewed resources.